In the Nissan Brand Tracker study, the perception of Nissan 370Z on the parameter of “Speed” increased from 24% to 45%, much above the targeted 34% (Source – NCBIS Nissan Brand Tracker Jan-June 2012)
• 3,554 leads were generated (18.4% higher than objective)
• 349 test drives taken (66% higher than objective & 128% increase vs same period previous year)
• 9% increase in sales (5% higher than objective)
• Market share increased from 8.3% to 10.8% (30% higher than objective)
Our insight was that speed is the most important driver to purchasing a sports coupe vehicle, while our challenge was to increase test drives within a small marketing budget. As a result our communication strategy was to use high affinity channels to increase testdrives; while incorporating a speed element in every touch point (TV, Digital, Magazines, SMS & Smbien)
We focused our campaign on a single idea - to give our TA the feeling of driving a Nissan 370Z from 0 to 100km/h in 5.5 seconds
(5.5 seconds is the time required for the 370Z to move from 0 to 100 km)
Insights, Strategy and the Idea
Nissan 370Z is not for the faint-hearted. It’s a sports coupe for those with a need for speed; a niche audience that always wants to be ahead of the rest. A niche audience meant a smaller marketing budget. In the past, this small budget was spent on TV in order to maximize reach.
In 2011, test drive requests have dropped resulting in a 38% drop in sales (compared to 2010). At a 2% category growth, it was evident that we were losing market share to our direct competitors (Audi TT, BMW Z4, Mercedes SLK & Porsche Boxter/Cayman)
• Increase the perception of Nissan 370Z on the parameter of “Speed” from 24% to 34%.
• Generate 3,000 Quality Leads, which at a 7% conversion rate will lead to 210 test drives within 6 months
• Increase sales by 5% within 6 months