In an impulsive spending culture, Emirates NBD, a leading bank in the UAE, decided to help its people SAVE and hence, live better lives. In a place where ostentatious displays of wealth are commonplace and IMPULSE BUYING is a trend, we set out to create IMPULSE SAVING. And prove to people that just how they can’t resist impulse buying, they shouldn’t also resist impulse saving!
Describe how the promotion developed from concept to implementation
Introducing SHAKE ’N SAVE - an easy to download app that transfers money from your checking to your savings account. All you have to do is turn on the app, set an automatic amount you’d like to save, shake your phone and save that amount anytime, anywhere.
We launched an entertaining and shareable music video. The app and the music video got the UAE shaking and saving. We also promoted the app through targeting people at key moments of spending across the UAE and at high traffic areas across the UAE such as bridge banners and leading websites.
Describe the success of the promotion with both client and consumer including some quantifiable results
(1) We proved that Impulse can be hard to resist, even if it’s impulse saving!
(2) 50,000 successful and active shakes to date.
(3) Contributed to 38% of total accounts opened via digital channels, moving from 2000 to 7500+ which is an industry benchmark over the past 12 months.
(4) Total deposits in these accounts had an overall increase of +500% over the past 12 months.
(5) Won awards at the Banking Technology Awards and as The Best Internet Bank at Global Finance Awards 2014.
Explain why the method of promotion was most relevant to the product or service
(1) Shake ‘N Save embodies a key goal of Emirates NBD: Making people more financially prudent. And with saving being the first step towards being financially sound, Shake ‘N Save was created to make savings easy.
(2) It embodies the innovative values of Emirates NBD and while at it, advocates the bank’s strategic focus on mobile banking.
(3) With our execution, we showcased the ease of use of the application to also make saving seem easy and doable – by everyone, anytime, anywhere.
(4) Saving is usually a serious topic. With our execution, we made saving seem fun and enjoyable too.